Week #4

Gary here. This week I made the game logo:

Fig.1 - Game logo

It'll build itself in the title screen when the game starts. I also finished the alien from last week I wasn't happy with:


Fig.2 - Finished Alien

I started making the sky, such as making a big Jupiter for the background and a couple of it's moons, when I began experimenting with perspective cameras to render objects that are supposed to be further back (trees in the background, etc.) higher up and smaller. They also move slower as the player walks by the further away from the camera they are. It still needs playing with to get right as objects clip through the background then disappear as the player moves away, but I think it looks pretty cool so far (particularly with the aliens while they're in the background) and is worth the investment to fix.

I made a tile sheet for the ground with different toppings of snow and ground 'decals', which spruce up the ground tiles with underground items like rocks and vines. I wanted the ground to be randomly generated at run-time rather than placing them myself in the Unity editor.  Thanks to the tiles and decals, there's loads of variants and each looks unique.

I also spent a significant amount of time making a 'wandering' effect or the aliens. When not engaged in any activity, they'll wait a random amount of time before moving to a random place in a short distance from where they started. I think it works pretty good and goes a long way to make the aliens feel more alive.

Fig.3 - Parallax cameras, ground tiles, and a wandering alien

I also had an idea for a fake chest that is revealed to be an alien when the player approaches:

Fig.4 - New alien

My goal next week is to fix the clipping issue with background objects and make the sprite sheet for the player character. Once both are done I'd like to make more objects for the background (clouds, rocks, etc.).

See you next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week #3

Week #2

Week #10